Tuesday, May 31, 2011

sunday sweets {avocado ice cream}


Ok, stay with me here. This may sound weird, but it's actually pretty good, if you like avocados, if not, well, maybe tune in next week. On Sunday I was sitting outside, trying to think of what sweet to make. It was hot, really hot. I decided I wanted to do something {anything} that would be cold. I had a bunch of ripe avocados and I thought, if nothing else, it will look pretty cool. I found an Alton Brown recipe that was so easy, it was kind of ridiculous, and I didn't need to go to the grocery store because I had all the ingredients. Life was good.

Now, this recipe comes with a disclaimer. It's not really that sweet, and if you're looking for something decadent at the end of the day, this is not going to be it. However, the fat from the avocados makes this very creamy, and it's really good if you want something cold and refreshing. I had no prior experience with avocado ice cream so I followed the recipe to make sure it came out, but now having made it once, there's just a couple things I would change, and I'll include those for you.

If you can't get past the idea of avocado ice cream, I think you can at least agree that it's color is quite lovely, no?



Ingredients:
3 ripe avocados
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice {I used a whole lemon's worth}
1 1/2 cup whole milk {I used 1% and it was still very creamy}
1/2 cup sugar {if you don't want this to taste like a frozen avocado, that is, if you want this to be a sweet dessert, I would suggest using a whole cup of sugar}
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine avocados, lemon juice, sugar, milk, and vanilla in a blender. Mix on high until fully combined.

Pour mixture into a large bowl, whisk in heavy cream. Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours, until mixture is at 40 degrees.

Pour into ice cream maker and churn. Because of the fat in the avocados, this sets up pretty quickly so watch carefully and only churn for about 5-10 minutes. For soft ice cream, serve right away, or place in freezer for about 3-4 hours.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...