Monday, August 1, 2011

the finger lakes





On Saturday my parents and I took a drive up to Cayuga Lake to visit some wineries and Ithaca Brewery {unfortunately no pictures were taken there, mainly because I had been drinking since 11am and operating a camera was the last thing on my mind}. I had never been to the Finger Lakes and was slightly apprehensive about the wine produced there, but I have to say it was absolutely beautiful and the wine was was not too shabby either.

It takes about 3 hours from Albany {my father kept saying "this is a long way to drive for a glass of wine," and "I've driven 3 hours and I haven't seen a grape yet girls"} but it was well worth the wait, and the drive was through NY's farmland so it was really pretty too. We made our way around Cayuga Lake, stopping at about 5 winers and a hard cider tasting room. The weather was amazing, 80 with a cool breeze, absolutely perfect for driving around and drinking wine. My favorite winery was Goose Watch , perhaps because they had a dry Rose and a Pinot Noir Brut Rose, as you can imagine, I was a happy girl.

We spent some time at Thirsty Owl Winery, and had lunch on their deck overlooking the lake. Some chicken liver and Pinot Gris and the three of us were content. Overall, a perfect summer day, and one that I hope to repeat since I definitely plan on visiting the Finger Lakes again.

1 comment:

  1. love this post! one of my most memorable trips was to the finger lakes where some friends and I stopped by Fox Run Vineyards on the way to a music festival. Best Riesling I've ever had, and I never knew upstate New York was so beautiful!! This post took me back. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...