Monday, March 7, 2011

sunday sweets {banana bread}



{I swear I took more pictures of this while baking, but it appears they have disappeared from my camera. Perhaps someone deleted them while uploading beer pics?}

ANYWAY, I'm going to start a "sunday sweets" post for each week, and I will try to actually post them on Sundays from now one. Yesterday I noticed all of the bananas in the house were past their prime. I'm not sure if we did this on purpose though because this is the BEST banana bread you will ever have. Seriously.

What makes this recipe amazing is it's more like a banana bread pudding. Even if you bake it longer than you should, the inside is still incredibly moist. I came across this particular recipe in an issue of Saveur, which can carry some intimidating recipes, but I promise this one is super easy.

Ingredients:
Butter for greasing the pan
1 cup flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
2/3 cup chopped pecans {optional, I don't use them}
3 very ripe bananas, mashed {I don't mash my bananas up completely so there's still some small chunks in the bread}


Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 9" x 5" x 
2 3⁄4" loaf pan with butter and dust with flour; set pan aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

Whisk together sugar, oil, buttermilk, vanilla, egg, and egg yolk in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Add pecans and mashed bananas and whisk gently to combine. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean, 60–65 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...