Monday, April 30, 2012

sunday sweets {blueberry cobbler}



I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Between our Farm Box that was delivered last week, and the farmer's market this weekend, we are stocked with blueberries. Cobbler is not one of my favorite things. I like it, and it's summery, but as many of you know, I'm more of a chocolate girl. Warm fruit doesn't always interest me. However, I do love blueberries, and blueberry pie, so I thought perhaps something in that vein might do the trick. Also I thought it would be the perfect ending to the bbq chicken and fried green tomatoes we made for dinner

These were a little different from other cobblers I've had. A little bit more dough on the top, actually this dough recipe tasted almost like a light biscuit, similar to the mixed berry grunt I made last summer. Despite being a little doughy, these were really tasty. I might suggest using less of the batter if you prefer more cobbler though.


Ingredients:
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries
  • sugar
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind {I used zest, and I squeezed about half a lemon's worth of juice in as well}
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup milk

  • Directions:
    1.Pick over and wash berries. Place in saucepan with 1/4 cup sugar, lemon rind and water.
    2. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour equal amounts into 4 greased tart pans.
    3. Cream butter, 1/3 cup sugar, egg and vanilla until well blended.
    4. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Add to creamed mixture along with the milk. Beat until smooth. Spoon batter over hot blueberries.
    5. Bake at 375° for about 30 minutes or until browned. Serve warm, plain or with ice cream (family favorite) or whipped cream.



    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...