Tuesday, July 5, 2011

sunday sweets {mixed berry grunt}


So in keeping with the theme, I decided to make a dessert on the grill. A grunt is a classic American dessert, cooked in a skillet, over a fire. It's kind of a fruit stew with dough on top, much like a cobbler. It's also pretty much one of the easiest desserts I've made for this blog, and one of the most delicious.

I'm on a berry kick, I don't want to make pies every week, but if I had it my way, I'd probably have a fresh pie in the house at all times. Cakes are fun to make, and definitely pretty to photograph, but they never get eaten in my house, pies on the other hand, are gone in a matter of days. However, as I said before, I can't bake a pie every week, sometimes I have to change it up, and this recipe was something different, while still satisfying my berry cravings.

Ingredients:
2 pounds of mixed berries {i used raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries, but you don't have to use that many}
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. water
1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
coarse salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. low-fat buttermilk
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon mixed with 1 tsp. sugar

Directions:
1. cook berries with 1/4 cup sugar, the water , and lemon juice in a cast iron skillet set over a campfire or on a medium grill, until thickened, 1-15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1/4 tsp. salt, and remaining 2 tbsp. sugar. Add buttermilk and butter, stir until moist dough forms.
3. Spoon 6 dollops of dough over fruit. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar over dough.
4. cover skillet tightly with parchment-lined foil. Cook until dumplings are set and tops are dry, about 20 minutes.

Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...